I have built a few servers following the instructions given by Bryan J. Hong in his very thorough book: “Building a Server with FreeBSD 7.” For anybody wanting to build a web server, mail server, FTP server, or just a local network server, this book makes the process as easy as possible.
No Starch Press, the publisher, has an Errata page for this book. I found some additional errors when I built my servers, which I document here. Please check the official Errata page on No Starch’s site, and make the following corrections to your copy of the book before building your server. As of this writing, the official Errata page does not include these corrections:
- On p. 25, in step 6., before “cd /usr/ports” issue this command:
- touch /usr/ports/INDEX-7
- On p. 46, just above step 2., the two commands should NOT include “.sh” and should be:
- /usr/local/etc/rc.d/courier-imap-imapd start
- /usr/local/etc/rc.d/courier-imap-imapd-ssl start
- On p. 184, the directory link (the second command on the page) should be:
- ln -s /usr/local/www/apache22/data www
Using the default settings and following the directions in the book, the above corrections should all work perfectly.
Note: I have written a post on installing FreeBSD. It covers a good starter library of books on FreeBSD.